Saturday, January 23, 2010

Brynh’s day

His latest artwork for itravel Philippines


Some of Brynh’s digital artworks




Brynh spotted in itravel Philippines

Cryptic artist gets the spotlight in the Kuris animators’ section of itravel Philippines Jan-Feb 2010 issue


Until now, I won’t change my mind. Brynh is still the same old cryptic, mysterious, and unpredictable Kuris animator I used to know. After two years, we still keep our dreams and passion as trained 2D animators alive. Now that I manage a travel magazine where my wild (I mean sensible, hehe) ideas are coming out for the promotion of Philippine tourism, I’m really proud to present his artwork as the spotlight artist for the regular Kuris section. His style defines hybrid Anime art with a pinch of American cartoon and Pinoy twist. Furthermore, I also repost his interview last 2008 to get to know why this guy is cryptic but truly talented by heart. I think that’s what they call “artist’s mood swing.” Anyway, I’m proud that he’s doing well with his latest business venture, his continued friendship with the group, and plan to breakout with a new, explosive project this 2010. Brynh’s artwork will be seen in the “How to get to Iloilo City” section and will directly promote the cultural essence of Iloilo City as the center of Pinoy festivals.

Get to know him more…

Ronelo ladiao (RL): First and foremost, can tell me who’s your favorite animated characters that influenced your drawing style?
Bryan de los Reyes (BR): Frankly speaking, I’m heavily influenced by Japanese Anime. That makes Jericho and his Ghostfighter gang tops the list of my most favorite animated characters. I can easily relate to the deep, mysterious and misunderstood thoughts of Anime characters. Hey, I also like Moneky d’ Luffy, another anime cartoon.
RL: Tell us your ambition in life when you were a kid?
BR: Aside from finishing my studies, I used to believe that I really wanted to draw all my life and I hope I could do this as long as I can as an animator now.
RL: Literally, what makes you happy?
BR: Right now, when I see my five-month old daughter I fondly called “Lalan” there’s a lasting feeling of happiness and contentment. I wish I could be a good dad as she grow up.
RL: Setting aside drawing and animation, do you have other talents that you haven’t share with other people?
BR: Probably my singing talent and ear for music. Hey, Bryan and me (another Kuris animator) used to create funny songs every time we take a break. We record it and mostly laugh out loud when the lyrics seemed too humorous to listen. We can play the guitar very well and yes, some drums.
RL: Tell us about the kind of music you listen to?
BR: I listen to Jolina and F4 (laughs), no just kidding. I like the music of White Lion and Jack Black of Tenacious D. In one of our wacky videos, I lipsynched one of his song “Pick of Destiny”. Man, that song is rocking hard to listen, hehe!
RL: Let’s talk about the group, what’s the best thing being a member of Kuris Animators?
BR: I want to say it in Illonggo dialect- “kami ang pinakauna nga animators sa Iloilo nga nakaobra sang 2D kag 3D animated nga pelikula nga bisan law-ay sa iban nami man gihapon para sa amon kay pinangabudlayan gid namon tanan” (laughs).
RL: I believe you created an original character named “Bogart”, who is he and how does he represents you?
BR: “Waay lang” (just nothing). Bogart is a teenager born to a family of syndicates and they live in breaking the law. But there’s some good in him, his heart aims to break the chain of darkness that’s been pushing him to become an ill of the society. So he resorted “sa pagbaligya tabagak kon adlaw kaysa mangawat”Sagad lang sya sa away, madasig maghulag kag maalam” (he’s good in fighting, quick mover and intelligent) that’s why he always win in every battle with criminals. For me, he‘s someone that shows my desire to change the world around me. Hey, I also made the animated logo of Kuris, I think it’s cute.
(selling dried fish during the day instead of stealing) and defended the innocents at night without having any powers like most superheroes we know. “

RL: You designed the model sheet of Niňo, the street child and the main character of The BEQUEST, what inspired you to make such nice design?
BR: Actually, I did the rough drafts and Marx (another Kuris animator) did the final clean-up. When I designed it, I try to look for some street children and replicate the character’s clothing with them. I tried to put more emotion and innocence in his eyes. Marx said that our essential inspiration should be Ang, the Avatar from Nickelodeons.
RL: They say you’re also good in caricature or editorial cartoon sort of stuff, if you’re going to make an animation about a certain political figure, who would you choose?
BR: Let me think. Manoling Morato coz he talks a lot about immorality and maybe Jun Lozada, he’s a hot item these days (back in 2008).
RL: Can you mention some of your closest fellow Kuris animators?
BR: Why don’t we talk those who are not close to me instead? Well, Dads (Diosdado Aguilar) is the only one who’s not close to me coz he’s out of sight most of the time, LOL! (laugh out load). But honestly, he’s kinda good dad of the group.
RL: If “Kuris” wasn’t the name of your group, what other possible name would you prefer?
BR: I don’t know. Maybe “Peek of Destiny” coz we used to lip synched Jack Black’s crazy song “Pick of destiny” (laughs).
RL: For you, what’s the most important achievement of the group?
BR: Of course, The BEQUEST! During the time we were making it, the pressure was strenuous “kag abi namon indi na gid matapos kay ang iban nga tawo gahambal nga indi na kuno makalagas bag-o mag-January 25” (because we thought that we couldn’t finish it, other people kept on saying we can’t catch it before January 25--the showing date of the film). “ang malain pa gid kay bisan iban namon nga upod nadulaan salig nga matapos ang project (another bad thing was that some of our members have lost hope that we can finish the project), so they left us. But we finish it on time and the rest is history (note: way back in 2008).
RL: Looking back right now with all the sacrifices and the fun you had with animation, do you have any parting shot?
BR: “Sadya-sadya lang ni a” (this is all having fun). Give your best shot. This is now we call destiny and no more room for regrets and get-backers.

No comments: